Compared to other free email platforms out there, logging in to a hotmail account is fairly easy and straightforward. There are two main ways through which you can log in to your hotmail account, depending on the levels of security that are in place for the account. Both of these are outlined below.
1. Normal regular log in
- In this type of login, you only fill in your login details once and are directed straight to your inbox after that. To log in, start by visiting www.hotmail.com. You can type this address directly in your browser.
- Once there, enter your email address and accompanying password. If both are right, you will be directed straight to your inbox, indicating you have successfully logged into your account. If not, then try rechecking all your login details to verify that what you entered was correct.
- In some cases, you may have forgotten your full email address, password or both; probably because you have not used the account for a while. In such a case, you can try one of several methods to retrieve your correct login details.
a) Click on the link that reads “can’t access your account?” you will be directed to a page from which you can reset your password. Enter the email address, the one for that’s linked to your Microsoft outlook account, along with the random characters displayed. (These are only meant to confirm that you are actually human and not a robot.
b) Click next once you are done. In the screen that follows, you will be given two options to reset your password. First, you can choose to have a password reset link sent directly to your alternate email account. You can then follow that link back to hotmail where you will be asked to choose a new password. Alternatively, you can choose to have a confirmation code sent to your phone. Both of these are illustrated below;
c) Once you receive the code, key it into the text box provided and click ‘submit’. You will then be directed to a new page where you get to choose a new password. You will have to type in the password twice to ensure accuracy and click ‘next’ once you are done.
d) You will be directed to a new sign in page where, this time, you will enter your email address along with your new password in order to log into your account.
2. Signing in with 2-step verification
- This is a more secure way to login to your hotmail account. As the name suggests, the process of logging in is broken down into two steps. First you have to go through the usual login process as outlined in (1) above. However, instead of being directed straight to your inbox after successful login, you will be directed to a second sign in page. A verification code will also be sent to your alternate email address. You have to enter that code in this page before you can access your hotmail account.